Pages

Oct 2, 2011

The Original Kindle Was So Ugly Because of the BlackBerry

Looking back at the Kindle's history, that original Kindle was pretty rip your eyes out ugly, huh? An odd shape with quirky buttons and even stranger scroll wheel...God who thought of that? Apparently, RIM. Jeff Bezos loved his Blackberry so much he based the Kindle's design off of his favorite gadget.

A hardware designer on the first Kindle told the NY Times Bits Blog that:
"Jeff Bezos would come into our design meetings and say he loved his BlackBerry and the ease with which he could find e-mails and respond to people. That's why the first Kindle was so boxy, had the funky square keyboard and that strange scroll wheel on the side; it was all inspired by Jeff's BlackBerry."
Which is incredibly funny now because the Amazon Kindle Fire looks exactly like a Blackberry Playbook (because it is), though I'm 99.9% sure that the Playbook can't possibly be Bezo's favorite gadget anymore. Either way, it's funny to see that companies were once inspired by RIM and how now everything's just slate after slate after slate.


15 comments:

Rawr said...

nice post, followin you!

Hasidic Plumber said...

Everyone loves Blackberry, but then again both the blackberry and the kindle were fugly.

DEZMOND said...

interesting

The Dainty Dolls House said...

I don't have either & I doubt I ever will. Kindle most definitely, I rather have a real book. Thanks for stopping by my blog..I hope you have a great week to come!! xx

Mo said...

I actually like the Blackberry Design

Anonymous said...

I don't like kindles anyway, but nice post!

Max Power said...

iPad still will kill kindle.

Unknown said...

omg I had no idea! That was horrible!! haha, thanks for sharing!


xoxo
http://preponderance-of-fashion.blogspot.com/

Outcast said...

I really like the Blackberry (since I own one myself) but that Kindle was just downright ugly. The things are for different purposes than phones though so it makes sense why the design didn't suit the Kindle at all. Interesting post buddy, I learned something from reading it.

Maybe you. said...

oh...my....god....

Crisalys said...

I don't really find any of those useful... but if I had a lot of money I'd probably buy a Kindle... I think it would be awesome for reading manga. Hahah.

Dylanthulhu said...

I'm really considering buying a Kindle with the money I saved by switching to Geico.

Mochileiro said...

Not only ugly as unusual.

The Offender said...

i don't see the point of theses "e-readers". I prefer the feel of a real book, or the glow of a computer screen. But then, I am an insomniac, and we have strange tastes.

Rajnish said...

interesting...good to know...

http://rajnishonline.blogspot.com/