Pages

Jan 8, 2012

People Flag Facebook Photos Because They Look Ugly, Not Because They’re Offensive

Oh my god! Is that a zit on my forehead? Where did that third chin come from? Why am I sweating so much? Was I that drunk? What is my boss going to think? What is my mom going to think? What do I think? I need to get rid of this photo on Facebook. NOW. Let's flag as offensive! Click. Unflattering picture, gone.

That's the internal monologue of most Facebook users when they click the Flag photo button on Facebook. Seriously, Facebook found out that the majority of photos that are reported as offensive weren't really offensive at all. In most cases, it was just people flagging pictures of themselves because the photo was taken at unflattering angles or compromising situations or just didn't make 'em look cool. We've all been there, right? How many times have you told your friend to pull down the picture of you half-naked, praising the toilet gods for mercy?

Facebook tweaked their flagging options last summer to accomodate these 'issues' people have with their photos. Which is to say, they included options to choose 'I don't like this photo of me', 'It's harassing me' or 'It's harassing a friend'. The complaints are meant to generate some sort of compassion in the poster to take down the ugly photo. I just say, make better friends.

10 comments:

NayNaySIXX said...

Hahah so true!

Outcast said...

Haha, that is absolutely hilarious! I can understand why, it's annoying when people put up unflattering photos of me so I can definitely relate to this!

Baur said...

Nice good thing they are doing this

R said...

That's really funny!

Atley said...

make better friends... easier said then done. hahah. I just never show my face when cameras are around.

G said...

lol absolutely true

Jay said...

luckily I've been avoiding cameras lately. Last embarassing photo was about 3-4 years ago haha

Lord Phrozen said...

This is why you shouldn't tag them when uploading embarrassing photos, so they wouldn't notice it until it's too late.

Destinx said...

Remember, there's an option to have tags moderated before appearing on your profile. That way, it needs your approval in order for it to be displayed.

Heaven. said...

I love that I get to approve the tags before they show up on my profile now :)