Pages

Nov 23, 2011

Microsoft Thinking About Buying Yahoo. Again

Seems like only a few years ago Microsoft was courting Yahoo. Yeah, that didn't work out so hot. Well, Microsoft is back to kicking Yahoo's tires. And this time Yahoo isn't telling at Redmond to get off its lawn.

The New York Times reports that Microsoft has signed an NDA that allows it to peer into Yahoo's financials. Yahoo is currently searching for a new daddy, and every company that's expressed interest has been asked to sign an agreement that lets it peek at Yahoo's books, but not talk to any of the other companies who are looking. NBD: Microsoft got around this restriction by speaking with potential partners before signing the agreement. Sneaky.

Currently, Microsoft and Yahoo have a lucrative partnership: Yahoo sells ads against Microsoft's Bing search engine results. An investment in Yahoo would not only keep that deal alive, it could also allow Microsoft to leap further into the search-engine ad space. Microsoft has had its sights on Google's ad dollars for years and a Yahoo acquisition could give Redmond another piece of ammunition to take on the Mountain View company.
 
 

7 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

Someone was peering into my financials recently. He left after I called the cops.

Anonymous said...

I don't know of many people who use Yahoo

R said...

I don't think that's a good idea.

MRanthrope said...

Noooo. I enjoy my Yahoo...dont go over to the dark side.

Adam said...

They both stink

Outcast said...

These would be some pretty big news as it would definitely give Microsoft a higher percentage of the market than they already have for sure like.

Nokel said...

god I hope microsoft doesn't buy yahoo... I like my mail the way it is >.<