Pages

Aug 4, 2011

Apple's Inductive Charging Patent Application With Earbuds

How seriously is Apple considering the possibility of adding inductive charging to its line of iOS devices? Seriously enough to submit some crudely drawn images to the USPTO, at least. The company's application for "Using an Audio Cable as an Inductive Charging Coil" surfaced today, featuring some interesting solutions to the problem of inductive charging 

Another proposed system also puts the earphones to work -- though without the need for that giant charging post. Instead the headphones slip into an acoustic charger, which cause their speakers to vibrate, creating a current that charges the device. As ever, just because a patent application surfaces doesn't mean a final product will ever see the light of day -- and these methods (particularly that big charging post) do seem like a long way to go to shave off the precious millimeters that inductive charging traditionally brings. But hey, Apple's all about the svelte devices, and stranger things have certainly happened.

14 comments:

Ken Lynch said...

Geez, this thing scares me. I'd be afraid I'd plug it into my head and my brain would get electrocuted. Give me my trusty 8-track player anyday! ;-)

Comic Book Club said...

why would they want that?

GMSoccerPicks said...

Should i be excited or scared?

Shockgrubz said...

When I looked, I thought it was a scratching post that played Otis Redding. Silly Apple.

Unknown said...

Interesting, kinda scay looking though

Benjamin Linus said...

Im not really sure what to think of this beside damn does Apple really need this many products?

coneforce said...

impresive stuff!!! love visiting this blog! keep the good work! follow

Dylanthulhu said...

Despite my well-voiced opinion that Apple needs to not exist... at all this is just a ridiculous idea in general.

Zombie said...

not really an engineer myself but I dont think that is going to go over too well. lol.

Lemmenkainen said...

Yeah, not seeing the utility in this thing.

Clueless Dolphin said...

yeah that whole contraption just seems pretty pointless

Mochileiro said...

lol wut?

Diego Sousa said...

and it will cost just 2000 dollars :P

SoreLosersGaming said...

Seems a bit pointless. What advantage does this have over normal charging systems?