Pages

Jul 8, 2011

Someday You Could Say Goodbye To Sunburn Pain

You learn very quickly that most over the counter medicines only mask the agonizing pain of a sunburn for a short time. Medicines can't remove this terrible discomfort, because, until now, scientists didn't what caused it.

In a significant discovery, researchers from Kings College London may have identified one protein responsible for this searing pain. Called CXCL5, it shows up in large quantities in the sunburned skin of human and mice test subjects.

When the researchers injected this protein back into the mice, it caused a level of pain similar to the original burn. The team then added an antibody that neutralizes CXCL5 and the pain went away. This discovery is not a panacea for those who fall asleep while worshipping the sun, but it could lead to the development of medicines that block, not just dull the pain of a sunburn.


15 comments:

Guy Movie Blogger said...

I need this. I burn so easily during the summer. This stuff could save me a grip of needless, stupid pains.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, I love your blog!

gimpel said...

awesome, but sadly it doesnt stop the actual sunburn

DIYgaming said...

I can't wait!

ChickenBittle said...

Woah, sounds awesome. what a time and pain saver

Zombie said...

Thank goodness I hardly ever get sunburns. lol.

GMSoccerPicks said...

Great news, seriously. Being as pale as i am, this its a major pain in the ass every time i go to the beach.

Mark said...

I don't sunburn at all really, I just tend to burn lol. I go red not brown.

Anonymous said...

Same here, I always get red, even if i use sunscreen

MRanthrope said...

this sounds rad! Sign me up doc.

Wolle said...

that would be great

Magixx said...

nice post, as usual! :D
keep it up

Atley said...

Sounds pretty scary to me. I'll stick with the Aloe Vera , thanks! all those funky cancer causeing protien blockers and stuch. tooo much for me!

baka1236 said...

I just stay out of the sun to not get sunburnt :P

DesignTiem said...

I could have used that a few weeks ago. Me and a bunch of friends went to a beach in Alabama, and even though I applied sunscreen 3 times, it hurt to walk the next day.