Pages

Jul 13, 2011

Magnetic Carabiners are the Next Big Thing

Black Diamond is developing carabiners that use magnetic power to lock themselves as opposed to the traditional twistlocks and screwlocks.

The Magnetron carabiner is supposed to be easier to unlock than traditional systems but still provide the same safety. Here's how it works:
• Magnetic attraction to a steel insert in the carabiner nose keeps two independent arms securely locked
• Locking arms must be individually depressed before the gate can be opened
• Once open, opposing magnetic fields repel the arms to ensure smooth and reliable gate operati
Ideally, it'll be a lot easier to use than the old method and can let people focus on scaling a cliff rather than screwing and unscrewing a carabiner. Sadly, the Magnetron carabiner won't be released until 2012. Guess my keys will have to wait.


14 comments:

LeroyBig said...

Oh wow, what a great idea. I wonder how much more they're going to cost than the normal ones.

Zombie said...

ooooooo! Fancy!!

GMSoccerPicks said...

Great idea indeed. I dont think they will be much pricier than regular ones. Its not like it is an expensive improvement.

phosports said...

those look awesome

Cornbread The Poohbear said...

fanciest keyring Ill ever buy

Charles Godfrey said...

I used to have one of these to hold my keys too (well, not exactly like this one, it wasn't magnetic). The funny thing is that it had the legend "not for climbing". Of course it wasn't for climbing! It was so weak it wouldn't be able to hold anything heavier than my keys!

dwizzt said...

ohhhh that looks awesome!

Opchik said...

What is that?

Sam Meyotl said...

Look great! A very good idea, it's easy and simple.

MrCoolPants said...

So this can increase safety for people that climb mountains? Pretty neat! I hear a lot of accidents lately in the Alps!

Magixx said...

fancy stuff! :D

Keine Scheisse said...

If I ever need one of them, I will by of this kind for sure

gimpel said...

I once was climbing and I hated these
screw carabiners

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

Looks great, but i'd be a little wary of trusting magnets to not drop me to my death...