Pages

Jul 15, 2011

Are Tablets Really PCs?

Microsoft insists tablets are Windows-powered mobile PCs. Even Windows Phone president Andy Lee, who should be pushing for a WP7 tablet, said, "We view a tablet as a PC."

Since the early days of the Origami project, Microsoft has looked at the tablet as a desktop replacement. Slates ran Windows XP or Windows 7; never Windows Mobile or Windows Phone 7. This desktop approach hasn't worked so well in the past, but the company just won't let it go.

Microsoft probably believes its tablet strategy will work out better this time with Windows 8; but the runaway success of the iPad suggests otherwise. The iPad is popular because it is an oversized smartphone and not a notebook replacement.
 
 

8 comments:

Dylanthulhu said...

I don't really care for the idea of tablet PCs, mostly because I use my laptop for everything, I work play sure and relax on it, and I can't imagine a giant touchscreen replacing it.

Our Blog said...

I have always figured these were a niche produce. Apple is trying to make it mainstream, but most people just don't need one.

AllWiredAdmin said...

Strange, because I refuse to buy an iPad based on the sole fact that it is an oversized smartphone, and, guess what? I already have a smartphone.
Perhaps Microsoft will have more success with this, if there are more people thinking like me, who want to venture into the tablet world. But I imagine these things aren't seamless integration from a PC. I'm sure not all programs will run well on a tablet, so unless Microsoft pulls down some third-party support, this will die fast.

Electric Addict said...

the windows tablets are more geared towards business users i'd say

ipads for the general consumer audience

msmariah said...

Nope. My tablet's power plug broke or the connectors broke, which makes it much more inconvenient than a PC. This particular USB is not compatible with other USBs you buy in the store (like Staples). So now I have order directly from Dell. So the battery is already drained and I can't even use it. So yeah, I don't think these things are better than pcs or laptops for that matter.

neo.enviro said...

Sure why not? I'm glad I held off buying a Tablet...I only like the idea of having a decent sized display to watch videos on if I'm on the road.

Keine Scheisse said...

I think a tablet can replace a PC at functionality, but each one should be used for its commitment

cezary said...

I do not like something does not fit into a mine pocket :<