Pages

Nov 12, 2010

The World's Smallest Full HD Display

The iPhone 4's Retina Display is 3.5 inches, with a resolution of 960x640 and a pixel density of 326ppi. Pretty much everyone agrees it looks great. So how incredible must ORTUS's new 4.8-inch, 1,920×1080, 458ppi display look?

ORTUS, a collaborative venture between Casio and Toppan Printing, announced the Hyper Amorphous Silicon TFT (HAST) display today in Japan. The company claims it's up to 30% brighter than other TFT displays, capable of producing 16.8 million colors and has a viewing angle of 160 degrees.

But if the Retina Display, as Apple claims, is pushing up against the threshold for the human eye, is ORTUS's added pixel density really that important? I'm reserving judgment until I can watch Dark Knight on the thing.

28 comments:

Longkid said...

wow thats so cool

Jem Star said...

Wow that looks awesome!

Shimizu said...

me want

SuciƓ Sanchez said...

We're close to maxed out - hence the big marketing push on 3D

The Liquor Guy said...

Wow. I've been watching James Bond all day, bet he would look awesome on this little thing. I might even feel like him!

ArchiePattersons said...

This is incredible. Imagine the technology we'll have in only five years from now.

ATM Withdrawal said...

Would love to have one of those!

Gurney said...

wow awesome

ak47 said...

that is beautiful

NarwhalMinded said...

Crazy!

Oxygen for Everyone! said...

that's a seriously slick display

Unknown said...

Very nice, how much?

Das Auto! said...

i want to upgrade!

Lewis said...

wow man very cool info :) iphone 4 rules

000 said...

incredible stuff

Anonymous said...

Would be sick to have one of these! Be watching concerts on this :D

Unlogic said...

WOW, I could use this ! :D

Hugh Jazz said...

nice, dude!

Peanutzzz said...

Apple is right if you ask me :P

hindenburg said...

That's such a high resolution it makes my computer screen look bad ;D

SoreLosersGaming said...

Looks amazing!

roger said...

I want it.

textileengineer said...

damn my 20" monitor's resolution is less than that.

Lee Black said...

Meh. I'll keep my shitty old Nokia. It does it's job fine.

Sinisa said...

look so good...

Stibbz said...

awesome! must be expensive tho :(

Michael V said...

seems awsome, really !

Deron said...

Full HD :D