Pages

Sep 8, 2010

XWave Headset Lets You Control iPhone Apps With Your BRAIN

You could argue that the iPhone's biggest UI leap was turning the user's finger into a stylus. Now, with the PLX XWave headest, you can turn your BRAIN into the stylus. Or your finger? My head hurts already.

From what I can gather—and this is only from what I can gather—the PLX XWave is a sesnor-laden headset that plugs into your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad and lets you interact with apps simply by thinking. This promotional video shows a glowing orb appearing in the palms of users, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't actually happen when you're using it:

Here, according to the company's site, is what actually happens:


XWave, powered by NeuroSky eSense patented technologies, senses the faintest electrical impulses transmitted through your skull to the surface of your forehead and converts these analog signals into digital. With XWave, you will be able to detect attention and meditation levels, as well as train your mind to control things. Objects in a game can be controlled, lights in your living room can change color depending on your mood; the possibilities are limited to only the power of your imagination.
I'm not sure how they make the leap to controlling lights, and I definitely wouldn't say that the possibilities were only limited by one's imagination, but hey, it's MIND CONTROL, and that's always fun. PLX is even serving up their APIs so developers can make their own brain-controlled apps. Doodle Jumping with your brain—if that isn't the future than I don't know what is. You can order an XWave for $100; it ships on November 1.

61 comments:

David said...

Lol future,eh? supportin'

Anonymous said...

pff it freaks me out xD

Mr. Derp said...

This would be pretty cool, if I could actually afford it as well as an iPhone.

Anonymous said...

supporting daily XD u2 ?

Swarmster said...

technology is getting to be pretty scary imo

Tom Greaves said...

That looks seriously awesome... I wanna control my ipod with my mind!

vibe said...

iPhone <3

Killa ToFu said...

Showing some daily support! Follow me pl0x!
Psh, Apple only? They won't get my fucking money until there's an Android or Windows equivalent. I don't want to have to buy some iShit just to try this out.

http://the0taku.blogspot.com

madmanic said...

sup follow you follow me

madmanic.blogspot.com

GamestarrArts said...

Not really new tech, but I suppose on the consumer level it's new. They're just going to find a way to squeeze every dollar out of it. There are far more useful things for this kind of tech, just sayin'.

Supportin' daily.

Anti1337 said...

thats actually pretty insane, i wonder whats next, mind games? o_O

Jellofighter said...

The future is here!

rockStar said...

iLove iPhone

haha.

supportin you <3

Absurdly Sentenced said...

wow that's cool

Jimmy Volmer said...

I call BS... just sayin'

Joris van der Mark said...

daily love =)

Truth will be revealed said...

not sure if i like this lol

BigBear said...

Hahaha what a waste, but I bet apple would do that...

Katie Greene said...

when you were in that coma, did you feel your brain getting damaged?

pandavandalism said...

Showin daily support man.

http://pandavandalism.blogspot.com/

Reign said...

well this wont be any fun but it opens a lot of doors

daily love :3

David Davidson said...

I'm pretty sure the device picks up on tiny movements made by your head as opposed to brain waves of any sort.

epicness2729 said...

Nice!! Great blog. 
Just showing some daily support. 

http://vignettesfromanobody.blogspot.com/

g3000 said...

wow ... that's amazing ...

Randy said...

this thing looks really stupid. Tho the effect might be cool

Much Poopies! said...

thats just a huge load of poopies, Iphone users dont use brains. >=(

PS: sup, missed mawh?

Naj said...

that must cost a lot!

chasityxo said...

wow this is insane tech dude

Anonymous said...

Soon we'll have working robot limbs. AWESOME!

pileofgames.blogger.com

AG said...

ncieicieeeeeeee

Anonymous said...

Supportin!

Follow me bros.

Skyshock said...

sci fi stuff

Unknown said...

hmm sounds interesting

Anon said...

I think that would be a waste of money

Iggy said...

holy face that looks intense, I want it

Silly Old Bum said...

wait.. i dont hv an iphone D:

kurina said...

This looks promising

Garbanian said...

Lol, wearing that in public for teh lulz!

haybiebs said...

wow kinda scary. showin <3!

lolwuthellyes said...

RIDICULOUS!

Discerning Gentleman said...

might as well have the iPhone implanted in your brain!

Krihhh said...

FTW

http://krihhh.blogspot.com/

hamonrye said...

Just think how cool you will look using it.

Nau said...

Soon we won't need to talk, or move, that's not good.

The Loon said...

Too bad it's going to be expensive as hell. I could really use this in Math, teacher doesn't like iThingies.

The Loon said...

$100 is expensive >_>

The Derp Wizard said...

technology is always pretty scary

CrapfileYP said...

this is crazy! can't wait till it's affordable :P

Epic Fitness said...

Psh, I have always been able to control things with my mind, and my hands.

Unknown said...

this look super technologic

Unknown said...

this look super technologic

Anonymous said...

support u sweety ... daily love XD

lulwutsauze said...

daily love homey

CHOxLARGE said...

I really want to try this, don't know if I could bring myself to buy it.

rockStar said...

thanx bro <3

x said...

brb, goin to the future!!!

Teddy Bland said...

whaaaaaaaa

Pizza Boy Swag said...

NISE!

Dick McHardcheese said...

One more step towards the hive mind and the eventual technological singularity!

KodiakBear said...

Dude, first time I saw Google Instant, it scared me. I thought I broke it xD

LoneIslander said...

This is just getting scary now.