Pages

Jan 22, 2013

The Mathematically Most Efficient Way to Sort Socks

Computer scientists around the world have been stumped by a vexing mathematical problem for ages: How does one go about sorting a large pile of socks when said socks are different? How does one model the plane of possibilities? The solution has arrived, and it's much simpler than you think.

Mr. Kottke reports the findings of his own personal study, which it turns out is simpler than anything science has otherwise come up with. More here.
1) Throw all your socks out.
2) Go to Uniqlo and buy 15 identical pairs of black socks.
3) When you want to wear socks, pick any two out of the drawer.
4) When you notice your socks are wearing out, goto step 1.

2 comments:

Outcast said...

This is amazing, it's not just Mathematically efficient, it's practically life efficient, I want these socks like now, although I do quite like my woolen socks that I have now, hmmmm, I'm not so sure now haha but I do love the idea!

Anthony Hopper said...

That is what I have done for years...