Pages

Jul 6, 2012

How to Make Your iPhone Charge Wirelessly


Wirelessly charging your iPhone would be pretty great, but not with the dumb cases that inductive charging requires. That's why this mod from Tanveer is so great. A regular iPhone that charges when you set it down. The future!

Here's what you'll need, according to Tanveer, in addition to some serious soldering skills:
patience
a steady hand
soldering tools
a spare charger port assembly
very thing gauge wire
a spare back cover
a wireless charger circuit (probably homemade from parts)
It's a pretty involved hack that will obviously void your warranty. You not only have to solder tiny wire to tiny pins, but you've got to add 1mm of give to an iPhone back panel. It takes some serious work, but for a 1mm-thicker iPhone that you don't have to plug in to charge? Kind of worth it. More here.

4 comments:

Shane said...

Pretty cool, don't think I'd do this to my iPhone though.

Steve said...

that's pretty awesome, maybe I'll try it with my 3GS i still use and give myself an excuse to upgrade

God King said...

Wow, that's awesome!

Outcast said...

This is pretty cool but I don't think that I'd be technically proficient enough to pull this off even if I had an iPhone haha, it's cool that this can be done though all the same, it shows that Apple will be able to do this kind of thing some day in their newer models.