Pages

Apr 5, 2012

New Apple Patent Hints at Wireless Charging for the iPhone and iPad

A new Apple patent discovered by AppleInsider shows plans for new product packaging and that's... pretty boring. What isinteresting about the new packaging though is that it may hint at future where iPhones and iPads would charge wirelessly.

The new packaging patent for the iPhone and iPad shows "unobtrusive packaging" which means the package would just show the actual product itself, not a picture. This sort of "unobtrusive packaging" isn't new of course (heck Apple uses it for the Magic Mouse) but they typically don't allow for charging to take place. In the patent, Apple shows an option of using an RF power transmitter where there's a base station that transmit power to the receivers (which would be the packaging itself) and charges everything back up. That means these iPhones and iPads could potentially have a home where they could be charged wirelessly.

Of course with patents being patents and iPhones and iPads selling as they do, who knows how useful this method of wireless charging inside the packaging will be. One thing for sure: it sure would be nice to charge your iPhone without any wires. More here.

9 comments:

Outcast said...

Honestly this would be absolutely amazing, no word of a lie. If this actually did come out I swear I would drop everything and buy either an iPhone or an iPad, wireless charging sounds genius to me!

Veganchan said...

I guess this is just around the corner of being standardized. But I have to tell you, I won't upgrade any smartphone until every phone gets a solar panel at the back of it. The only phone I've seen was a shitty sports mobile that had it, Puma I think if I recall correctly. It would be awesome.

That Random Guy said...

That would be pretty epic, I have seen a charging pad where you can just set it onto the pad and it charges, but being completely wireless is a whole over thing.

Jim said...

That would be cool, but I'd stick to my wires.

Arturo said...

Would be nice to see that

huncwot said...

Wireles charging?
O.O

R said...

Would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

And this is future xD

Talon said...

who cars about wireless charging, what i want is wireless power wherever i go