Pages

Nov 26, 2011

Tamagotchi Celebrates 15th Birthday and Is Still Available For Your Loving Embrace

You might remember those pesky virtual petkeychain things, which managed to successfully spawn out of Japan to populate the world, and annoy the hell out of parents everywhere. They were launched 15 years ago, November 23rd 1996.

I have to hold my hands up and admit, I had not one, but two of these things when I was a kid. When it landed in 1997, so I hope you can forgive me, right? But a quick look on Amazon tells me you can still buy them. Why on Earth anyone would obsess over such a basic toy when you've got the likes of Nintendogs to take care of these days, is beyond me. Still, if you fancy a nostalgia trip that'll likely last for about 35 seconds before you realise once again, why you hate them — an authentic one will set you backfrom $15.
 
 

7 comments:

Cameron said...

Haven't seen these since I was little. Actually, i was so little that i never learn t how to spell Tamagotchi. >.<

Lot's Wife said...

I never had a Tamagotchi, but I did have one of those Pocket Pikachus, which I suppose is similar.

Crisalys said...

Aww... Tamagotchis are cute.

Anonymous said...

Wow it's in color now and everything

R said...

I don't like Tamagotchi anymore...

Outcast said...

I used to own one but I still never liked it at all. It's crazy these things are still around, happy 15th Birthday Tamagotchi I guess! Great post as always.

Ownyourstylenow said...

I don't hate them, I will never hate them!
Secretely I still play pokemon on my old gameboy, when I have a lot of new stuff to chose from. It's just so old school, I love it