Pages

Nov 9, 2011

Apple Says Siri Never Coming to Older Phones

If you've been looking forward to a non-jailbroken build of sassy Siri to land on your old iPhone, abandon hope. Apple officially has no plans to take Siri beyond the 4S, says Michael Steeber. It's Apple bullshit, but totally expected.

After one Cult of Mac reader pestered Apple tech support over a paid Siri upgrade for non-4S iPhones, he says he received this in response, which he forwarded to CoM's Steeber:
Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue:
Siri only works on iPhone 4S and we currently have no plans to support older devices.
Which, as noted, is bullshit—we've seen proof that Siri can run just fine on older hardware. Apple's 4S restriction is an arbitrary roadblock. But should we expect anything else? Siri is the big 4S hype factor, and without that, Apple would have a hard(er) job convincing anyone the upgrade is worth it. Without any physical difference between the 4 and 4S, being able to bring up Siri at a party and ask her to count your farts is the 4S owner's only way of standing out. Apple's not going to give that up.


9 comments:

Crisalys said...

Well, that sucks. I'm not an iPhone user but I had no idea there was no physical differences between iPhone 4 and 4S.

Atley said...

I thought about getting a 4S , but I think I'll stick with my Droid Charge. It works just fine.

Outcast said...

That's a real shame... I guess it's to encourage new phone sales though so it makes sense.

Nokel said...

it's pretty obvious really...

R said...

That's pretty bad!

Anonymous said...

Siri looks fun and all... but I will stick with my Android...

Unknown said...

wow, cool!!!

MRanthrope said...

Figures. Apple douche policy strikes again.

Dani Ajkula said...

Such an apple thing to do, I still think Siri is overrated