Pages

May 9, 2011

Easily Distracted People May Have Too Much Brain

Those who are easily distracted from the task in hand may have "too much brain". So says Ryota Kanai and his colleagues at University College London, who found larger than average volumes of grey matter in certain brain regions in those whose attention is readily diverted.

To investigate distractibility, the team compared the brains of easy and difficult-to-distract individuals. They assessed each person's distractibility by quizzing them about how often they fail to notice road signs, or go into a supermarket and become sidetracked to the point that they forget what they came in to buy. The most distractible individuals received the highest score.

The team then imaged the volunteers' brains using a structural MRI scanner. The most obvious difference between those who had the highest questionnaire scores – the most easily distracted – and those with low scores was the volume of grey matter in a region of the brain known as the left superior parietal lobe (SPL). Specifically, the easily distracted tended to have more grey matter here.
 
 

18 comments:

Noises said...

i must have a big brain.. :D

LcL said...

Me too... XD

Blk Jesus said...

i must have a huge BRAin im always distracted

Aggeron said...

I have a small brain I guess :D

JDOGMMA said...

My brain, IT MUST BE HUGE!

Trolske said...

My brain must be pretty average :O

sp3nny said...

my brain must be gigantic

Zombie said...

Perfectly describes me! lol.

ScottD said...

large brain here also!

Penguin Tamer said...

Don't tell people with ADD THIS, then they'll start bragging about it and become even more insufferable, heh.

m said...

I finally have an excuse!

Anonymous said...

Ah,that must be my problem

BigSkull said...

I don't need this :p

BluRayBoy said...

My brain must be gigantic!

Potholderz said...

Well then i guess most people have large brains.

Shona said...

I have too much brain ? Lol!!

PaulBlark said...

Massive brain <---

MRanthrope said...

my brain is dangerously large then.