Pages

Jan 13, 2011

A Menu with Healthy Options May Make You Choose Unhealthier Meals

A recent study suggests that simply seeing healthy choices on a menu satisfies our desire to be healthy, causing us to be more likely to choose more indulgent foods when we actually place our order.

Daniel A. Marano at Psychology Today, explains:
Context is just as telling when it comes to that all-important piece of real estate known as the restaurant menu. A study published in the Journal of Consumer Research suggests that the mere presence of healthy offerings on a menu or on display in a restaurant or even in a vending machine can often be enough to vicariously satisfy our long-term health and nutrition goals-and trick our brains into allowing us to make more indulgent food selections, ones we would not otherwise make.
It's unlikely that restaurants will ever remove their unhealthy (but probably delicious) menu selections. Next time you're checking out your options and find yourself leaning towards the fried hamburger, keep in mind that the menu might be inadvertently messing with your head.



16 comments:

Choms1337 said...

and diet cola plz xDD:D

ValveWorld said...

Oh damn thats gross XD

Bobby said...

That's very interesting.

Don't forget to check and support often your local information hot-spot lifeformation.blogspot.com!

BlahCooCooBlah said...

That's interesting, thought it would be the opposite!

BTN Hip Hop said...

hmmm, i disagree, i would like to see the research source

Horuss said...

nomnoms

SDG said...

I admit, whenever I see the healthy section of a menu, my mind automatically changes it to tasteless section.

Sv3ntevith said...

People usually associate healthy food with bad taste.. Maybe it comes from this.

MRanthrope said...

that burger looks like it was aborted.

mrecan said...

this is interesting

miecak said...

Am I the only person left who doesn't ever think about how healthy my food is? I just order what I feel like eating.

Cpt Pownzor said...

id believe it. I see salad and im like fuck salad and order meat. haha if theres a bland healthy option and im at a restaurant im there to eat something tasty not something healthy.

SuciƓ Sanchez said...

I always go for stuff like calve's brain and bone-marrow on toast. Good healthy alternatives.

Nokel said...

I always choose before actually going to the restaurant, if I go to mcdonalds, I choose a big mac, if I go to hungry jacks, I choose a double whopper etc
It rarely changes

Anonymous said...

Woah. Never thought of it that way before. Thanks!

RP said...

so whats the alternative then?