Pages

Jan 6, 2011

Man Survives Without Using Soap For 18 Months—Could You?

What would happen if you went a year and a half without washing with soap and shampoo? Would your girlfriend ditch you? Friends loathe having to invite you 'round? Or, like Richard Nikoley and Sean Bonner, would life just...go on?

Nikoley's gone without either for 18 months now, and Bonner, inspired by Nikoley, just a year. Both claim life is much easier now, with Nikoley seeing some pleasant bonuses:
"What I've found over these 18 months is that I never even thought of the money I was saving. Hell, a decent sized bottle of shampoo and body wash would last me months anyway. Oh, and then there's the travel size versions. No, what has made this experience oh so satisfying is that I don't have to worry about any of that anymore — ever. Don't have to buy it. Don't have to carry it. Don't ever run out of it. Don't have to get it tossed in the dumpster by TSA goons."
Bonner, writing on Boing Boing, can't see himself ever going back to buying bottles of chemicals:
"The future? I will definitely be sticking with this. I'm still annoyed it took me 35 years to learn what I clearly already knew as a baby kicking and screaming when my parents tried to wash my hair. At least that's what I want to assume I knew back then. I know now, but I'd still rather not think about how much I spent on soap and shampoo and related products over the years when they were likely causing all the problems I was trying to protect against."
Supposedly one in 230 million people around the world are allergic to water, and cannot bathe without their skin being brought out in rashes, so suffer far worse than Nikoley and Bonner would if forced into a shower with a bar of soap. But would you go 18 months without using cleansing products on your skin or hair?




21 comments:

Vapor said...

Sorry, I like the chemically clean feeling of bathing with soap.

Zombie said...

uhhhh... I think I will keep my soap.

Shady said...

sorry, i don`t like it ;) supportin :)

MC said...

I bet he lost a lot of friends~!

Anonymous said...

That's... silly.

Zakk said...

gross! now way! :)

Les said...

I could probably go without soap, but not deodourant or shampoo. My hair dissolves into a greasy mess without.

Unknown said...

i could survive but i would be stank!@

LoneIslander said...

Soap? Probably. Shampoo? As a chick I would have to say no. I'm betting those guys probably shaved their heads so there would be no need to wash their hair anyway.

anon408 said...

How do they clean? Sponges???

http://anon408.blogspot.com

Sam said...

could but wouldn't

mrecan said...

smell is also important. i cant feel clean without the nice smell

000 said...

i certanly wouldn't die but I wouldn't enjoy it either

DoingKermit said...

feel for the people who are allergic to water, FEAR THE RAIN !!

HiFi said...

I'm going on 56 months without soap and I feel great! Just kidding. I'm not weird.

Joel C Anatoli said...

hahaha, no more soap for me!

1904 Blogger said...

yea im ganna have to keep my soap too ahah

Wesh said...

don't really feel the need to try it :P



http://kind-of-informational.blogspot.com/

MRanthrope said...

hell no!

Yeneeko said...

You can actually get organic soap made out of herbs and berries and stuff. So if he wasn't allergic to water, he could have used that stuff instead of the chemically made stuff. :P Good article either way!

Zasranec said...

Someone interviewed someone else over the fact they didn't use soap for 18 months.

The fact that this statement is true annoys me.