Pages

Dec 11, 2010

Scientists Say There's a Planet Lined With Diamonds

The extremely hot planet Wasp-12b has such a high carbon-to-oxygen ratio that scientists are saying that the planet's surface might be littered with diamonds. The lead researcher specifies: "You might see land masses and mountains made up of diamonds."

Astronomers are saying that it's the first carbon-rich planet ever observed. Planets in our solar system typically have a 1 to 2 carbon to oxygen ratio, Wasp-12b, on the other hand, has more carbon than oxygen. Because of all that carbon (and that there's no water on the planet), astronomers believe that Wasp-12b could have diamonds in its core (but current technology is limiting them from seeing the actual core).

Before you start building your DIY space shuttle though, you should know that the planet is 1,200 light years away and ridiculously, ridiculously hot (like 2315 degrees Celsius hot). There was also murmurs that Wasp-12b was going to be eaten by its star. So maybe diamonds aren't forever.



23 comments:

stm said...

someday the sun is going to eat our diamonds too. sucks.

Sam said...

If that's the fact then there's gonna be quite the race between the international powers to get to that planet

caretaker said...

like carbon

caretaker said...

fibre

Gurney said...

your planet is now diamonds

Buff Drinklots said...

Very Nice! however, we wouldn't survive in that planet I bet.

http://horntissimo-lotsamusic.blogspot.com/ said...

so THAT'S where the game minecraft takes place; it all makes sense now =D

World of Zero said...

Neptune or Uranus is supposed to have glaciers made of them. Don't know if that is confirmed or not though.

Teutorix said...

I would like to live on a planet like that. Of course I don;t like it that hot.

noog said...

yea but how many carats is the planet??

SuciƓ Sanchez said...

QVC could sell plots there.

Brut said...

I like diamonds.

jaredkk said...

sick diamond planet

Max said...

The price of diamonds plummet, sales hit an all time high!

The Liquor Guy said...

I'm halfway there. Anyone wanna donate money to me so I can build a shuttle that can surpass the speed of light. I'll pay you back. i'm legit.

mind said...

that is sad with Christmas comming

Zombie said...

Look down.

Now back up

This planet is now Diamonds.

David Davidson said...

we must find it and live like kings!

April said...

Wow I bet they come big too. Dang my only hope of ever having a solid statue made of diamonds is going to be eaten by a sun.

Jimmy Fungus said...

You got some really interesting articles in here...

honkhonkpt said...

Not to mention, even if we did somehow harvest all of that, it'd offset the current supply/demand of diamonds, thus pushing the price down and making them a lot less valuable.

Joel C Anatoli said...

Screw that! I'm building my own DIY Spacecraft!

Teh Kit Kat said...

I want some one to give me that planet as a present lol, I would marry anyone who gave me that!!!!!