Pages

Dec 14, 2010

Military-Designed "Bat Hook" Lets You Charge Your Phone from Overhead Power Lines

It's ridiculous all the half-baked solutions we depend on to resuscitate a dead phone. Especially when there's a potent supply of free power just waiting to be tapped, right above our heads. No, not the sun—overhead power lines.

The Bat Hook is as simple as any plug-in charger, but it's great for on-the-go. It's just a weighted hook with a razor blade in it, strung on the end of a cord: you toss it over the nearest power line. Its blade pierces the live wire, neatly and safely conducting electric current down to you, for convenient charging of gadgets, jumpstarting cars, or powering your roadside business. It even works in the rain!

The explanatory video from the Department of Defense says something about how it's only for trained Special Operations soldiers, and "you should never throw something over power lines," but that is clearly just marketing hype, calculated to give the Bat Hook an air of exclusivity.

27 comments:

World of Zero said...

To bad this wont become a commercial product anytime soon. I would love to get free power.
I'm sure Spec Ops can find more then one use for this...

stm said...

there are over 100 ways to kill a man with a bat hook...

SuciƓ Sanchez said...

I'll hook it on my utility belt.

Henri said...

I thought it was a bottle opener :D

JamesQuall said...

I thought it was a putter.

cooperlife said...

this sure looks safe.

FDA APPROVED

Gurney said...

lol that will end up bad

Buff Drinklots said...

Poking holes in power lines is not exactly safe.

Sarah said...

Hi!I love your BLOG.I'm also a girld,and I love gaming,currentrly in sc2 and wow.Follow me (im following you :D)
Also,any1 feel free to follow me,i will follow you as well

http://sarah-puddipuddi.blogspot.com/

Cobz said...

:s Im amazed they would think of something like this! Definitely would be interesting though lol

MRanthrope said...

this is sneaky, yet awesome.

Pawawanpi said...

Wow this is kind of crazy. I would want one. But too bad I can't have it. TT3TT

Diego said...

It looks cool!

Derrick O said...

thats freeken sickkkkk. id buy that!

mrecan said...

isnt that illegal?
its awesome anyways

Starving Foodsson said...

I love your blog!

noog said...

dammit, why does the army get all the cool toys

Mister Sharaf said...

so much awesome tech are hidden by millitery

Jeff said...

looks shooped...

Vapor said...

Yeah, cutting into power lines is always a great pass time...

mind said...

wow how do you throw it there

Sean Clark said...

So... how do you get it down?

Max said...

I dont understand how you get it back down

Joel C Anatoli said...

I'm going to call and cancel electricity for my house. llol

Sinisa said...

Nice...

Anonymous College Student said...

This can't be safe

Unknown said...

I think it's a one time use thing to get you out of a bind.