Pages

Nov 11, 2010

We're Running Out of Chocolate

At the rate we're going, chocolate is going to be a rare—and extremely pricey—commodity within the next twenty years. Somebody needs to light a fire under those Oompa-Loompas, stat.

The problem's easy to explain, and much harder to fix. According to the Cocoa Research Association, we're consuming more chocolate than we're producing cocoa. Which means, eventually, we're going to run out.

Cocoa's notoriously difficult to harvest, meaning more and more small-scale West African growers—who make an average of 80 cents per day—have little incentive not to turn to more lucrative crops, like rubber, or give up farming altogether in favor of more stable opportunities in cities.

What will the shortage mean? $11 Snickers bars, sooner than you think. Pretzels given out for Halloween. Or more candy made from carob, a poor substitute for the sweet and sticky real deal. And a tectonic shift in how we view our mochas, according the Nature Conservation Research Council's John Mason:

"In 20 years chocolate will be like caviar. It will become so rare and so expensive that the average Joe just won't be able to afford it."

But don't lose hope! Both Hershey and Mars, Inc. have sequenced the cacao genome, meaning more resilient trees could be in our future. And 20 years seems like enough time to figure out how to incentivize farmers appropriately.

Still, though, just in case, my Cadbury Cream Egg stockpiling starts now.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time to conquer Africa and force the populace to harvest cocoa for us.

Brandon said...

That's crazy to think about, I mean, running out of cocoa

Anonymous said...

I better stock up on chocolate :D

Unknown said...

I can't imagine this. I love chocolate

Rand.oM said...

ohnoes !

How am i gonna make my GF forgive me when I fuck up :S :P

Gurney said...

well thats one way to make ppl lose weight

stoneycase said...

say it ain't so! i think i heard a cry from all the women of the world...next thing you know all the men will be buying chocolate instead of diamonds ;)

JohnnyShams said...

I dont like chocolate so I think I'll survive lol

ArchiePattersons said...

This is very interesting and is very similar in concept to the 'peak oil' problem. Infinite production on a planet with finite resources. Scary stuff...

Galwarrior said...

Entertaining update, like always! :)

VDog said...

lol, that's gonna suck, well not for me cus I rarely eat chocolate

Don't Judge Me said...

nice I like this

Steven Phan said...

very interesting indeed.

Million Dollar Dream said...

good to know!

Irwin R Sheister said...

cool, thanks for sharing

Cpt Pownzor said...

This is the saddest article ive read in months.. :(

MDW said...

Not looking forward to this shortage. :/

fat daddy said...

Eating a Nestle Crunch bar as I read this.

Guy Movie Blogger said...

3rd World Countries... prepare your anuses.

WE COCOA NOW

Anonymous said...

whooo hoo love that

KTOTHES said...

!! I LOVE THOSE EGGS THEY ARE SO GOOD IN MAH MOUTH.

Sinisa said...

I`m so sad...I love chocolate...

ak47 said...

oh noes!

Peanutzzz said...

so, your saying chocolate factories are good bussiness :>

000 said...

disturbing post, bro

Ken said...

Stack up, sell for extreme prices ater! :P

SC2 Strats said...

really? i had no idea!

April said...

This is terrifying!! Okay looks like I am switching plans and going with biotech to make easier cocoa plants.

Anonfourtwenty said...

Ohh no!!

Frank said...

Hmm, this post reminded me to have sex with my girl since she brought up wanting to try out sex involving strawberries and chocolate some time... Also, better do it now than later since chocolate will be expensive and all...

Monster Madness said...

They said the same about bananas

Unknown said...

but I love chocolate, they can't do that to me :(

kennett4 said...

OMG noooooooooooooo

Sk8rjwd said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hindenburg said...

Wow thats really crazy

SuciƓ Sanchez said...

A lot of cocoa acreage switched to palm oil in Asia.

Christie Klein said...

OH GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO


But for real, carob is actually really awesome. I used to get "carob-covered almonds" from a health food store and they were godly!

Kikino said...

HOLY SHIT I NEED CHOCOLATE TO LIVE

Michael V said...

oh gosh, nooooo :(

Anonymous said...

time to stockpile and invest in nestles lol

Sam said...

that's bad news cause i love chocolate

MRanthrope said...

I'm going to start hoarding it TODAY!