Pages

Nov 5, 2010

HydroFILL Squeezes Electricity Out of Your Tap Water

Fuel cell outfitter Horizon is now offering a personal hydrogen power plant for use with its MiniPAK and HydroSTIK products. Although it isn't cheap, the system will (cleanly!) charge all of your small devices using the same water you drink.

The HydroFILL allows users to generate their own hydrogen and recharge the company's proprietary HydroSTIK miniature hydrogen tanks themselves, rather than having to spring for new ones when expended. Those two components, combined with the HydroPAK charging dock, will allow you to use essentially water to charge a variety of devices and peripherals. No more phone wall chargers, ever!

Still, for the time being this technology won't enter your home cheaply, with the HydroFILL tank priced at $499.99 (plus an optional $649.99 solar panel if you want to go truly off the grid). But each HydroSTIK packs the juice of 1,000 AA batteries, so hardcore chargers should be able to earn that back. Plus, next time someone is over at your place and needs to charge their phone, you can say, "Oh, one sec, let me see if my personal power plant is done generating hydrogen."

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy crap that is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time!
totally awesome I want one.
thanks so much for sharing

McGizzle said...

Looks rather awesome, I'll have to get one if I build an "ecohome".

Gorlotch said...

Amazing tech!

RandomComplaintsInc said...

That looks pretty awesome ;o

Czikita said...

like it

ego_rko said...

nice tech =)

Donkote said...

that is freakin awesome....too bad its so expensive

trashpandas said...

This is really awesome, and it'll eventually save you money... it's like investing now to save later. It's awesome as hell! Now, where can I sign up for a bigger one to power my whole house?

SoreLosersGaming said...

If only I could afford it...

frankie, my cat. said...

Would have been nice to not pay electricity bills.

textileengineer said...

Very Cool idea- a small compact hydrogen generator to recharge fuel cells. I love it.

LoneIslander said...

You know, I don't even think the price is that high considering what it does. I expected it to be higher. But very cool though.

Gurney said...

wow thats awesome. I would love to have one

anon1337 said...

that's pretty clever, though a bit expensive. I want one.

rebekillah said...

Coolest thing I have seen

Evan said...

that's really cool! anybody want to give me $499 so i can get one?

Anonymous said...

yeah, but can I get high off it?

KRUNOSLAV DUNDOVIC said...

interesting and cool

Anonymous said...

Holy shit, that's really neat.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, interesting.

Campino said...

awesome news

. said...

cool tech!

The Angry Vegetarian said...

that just LOOKS awesome, forget what it does! I want it!

Anonymous said...

wow technology is crazy these days!

Life Saver said...

this is cool technology!

Sikori said...

Must say thats pretty cool. The things they are coming out with nowadays.. astonishing.

Light Weight Baby! said...

that's pretty interesting

Jimmy Volmer said...

that's some interesting technology right there

Bob said...

Crazy to see what science has done.

Copyboy said...

I like [still trying to grasp my head around it] but I like it.

Green_Magix said...

This is freaking awesome mate!

SH said...

it would be better if i could use my piss

Tsipise said...

will this ever become mainstream....? I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

We need technology like this to get us off opecs oil.

ArchiePattersons said...

Wow, that's really nifty!

You Piss Me Off said...

Technology these days is crazy. XD

TravisTouchdown said...

wow this almost seems too good to be true!

befashionistic.blogspot.com/ said...

lol more like hydrosqueeze

Aaron said...

Absolutely amazing. Your posts are always the best. I want this in my home!

Consider_The_Following said...

Now we just need a car that can run of water...lol