Pages

Sep 9, 2010

Carbon Fiber Is the New Leather

We've all succumbed to the siren song of luxury—splurged on a pricey gadget we have no legitimate need or use for. Frequently, such decisions are wrapped up in authenticity. Other times all it takes is one sexy material.

You know what I'm talking about, Mr. Carbon Fiber Chopsticks.

Fact: Few materials can instill lust in a gadget geek's heart like carbon fiber. Okay, those geek hearts primarily reside in males. But still, this composite tends to exert a bewitching hold over all who gaze upon it. And seeing it in action only increases one's ardor. While it doesn't handle sudden impacts or shocks very well, carbon fiber is the reinforced super reed that'll bend but never break. There's only one problem: For nearly all of us, carbon fiber is not only impractical, it's downright unnecessary.

Which is part of what makes its prevalence in the gadget realm today so puzzling.

How is it that such a specialized material evolved into one of the most fetishized synthetic fibers in the gadget world? Is there some inherent quality that makes it utterly irresistible when slathered on top of dashboards or infused into iPad cases? And seriously, why would someone make a carbon fiber refrigerator?

47 comments:

David said...

Interesting ! supportin'

Barnacle said...

I support this :)

couragewolf2 said...

very interesting, supported!

http://blogadeirw.blogspot.com/

gooblegobble said...

cool jacket

supportin

Anonymous said...

You got me...but my chopsticks are SICK.

Jared said...

i've got a friend who's been savin up for the carbon fiber oakley sunglasses. haha, like 5000 bucks

Croyal said...

I want one

Will Henricson said...

Cool! ;)

Unknown said...

interesting stuff

shirou said...

looks pretty cool

Cryllis said...

Cool jacket!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I had to let it out sooner or later. The girl on your icon is too cute.T_T i'm not getting any..

doomboom9119 said...

id get it =)
supporting and following

KodiakBear said...

Nice. Makes me want to be a tough guy. I can remember those old-war days.

GamestarrArts said...

Carbon fiber is the mans cotton. lol

Supportin' daily.

troystefan said...

support u dayly

pls return


http://stefilutz.blogspot.com

Radacash said...

Does it stop bullets?

http://radacash.blogspot.com/

Joe Dirt said...

damn i want that jacket D:

Anonymous said...

Supportin!

Follow me bros.

iMonei said...

damn thats a hot jacket

Joshua la Joshua said...

they have bulletproof t shirts now

Unknown said...

Carbon Fibre... Yummy!

Braden Hollembaek said...

I used to have a carbon-15 (carbon fiber assault rifle similar to an AR-15). Shit was so cash, it weighed like 6 pounds. Got stupid with it though, and now I'm not allowed to own guns. Feels bad man.

WakeOfBuzzards said...

Oh my goodness, I want!

The Derp Wizard said...

Damn that looks so sick. I want that.

Unknown said...

Very awesome. Man you have a load of followers. Keep it up dude. We all want to be you... except for those of us that don't I guess.

http://hotnewmusictoday.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

sweeet

Food said...

I actually had no idea what carbon fiber was. But now I know, so thank you for teaching me something new today.

Collette Osuna said...

Fabulous jacket!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comment:)


Statements in Fashion

Ante Babaja said...

interesting :D

hunter time said...

omg ...do want so badly

Skyshock said...

i want that jacket

iammyself said...

jacket looks kind of cool but I wouldn't deem it as the new leather. I really hope things arent going that way

Daniel said...

Strange. Maybe this has application for motorcyclists to replace kevlar? ;p

Shiver said...

Carbon fiber EVERYTHING!

xph34rx said...

interesting! that jacket is pretty hot

Ren Rotten said...

I want one!!!

New follower, Please check out my blog and follow me back :)
australiascrapas.blogspot.com

Spilii said...

I want it

Light Weight Baby! said...

mind=blown

chasityxo said...

lol good ole carbon fiber

JRam said...

Gotta admire the incredible strength of carbon fibers though.

Liu Xiaorong said...

pretty damn cool

http://sc2prostrat.blogspot.com/

Sparrow said...

Lots of love from a fellow blogger!

kurina said...

Nice content supporting you daily!

Teakay said...

SO MUCH WANT

Gordon said...

I wants it!

buræquete said...

looks neat~~